Aurora Consulting LLC is looking for a part-time Biomedical Sciences Patent Agent to help with patent portfolio management, application drafting, prosecution, and strategy.
What we do: We specialize in working with early stage med device, digital health, software, and life science companies to develop valuable patent portfolios through highly tailored, comprehensive strategies. We scale with our clients’ needs and deeply understand the nuances of technology and patent strategy, and how to tie them effectively to business objectives.
Who we are: We are a fully distributed company with a culture that promotes a high degree of autonomy, work ownership, and quality at every step. You work where, when, and how you want – with others who have a deep passion for technology. We are engineers and scientists first.
What you’ll do: You will help us navigate a very dynamic growth stage by assisting, as needed, in a wide array of disciplines including:
- Patent portfolio management. Working closely with each client’s business, legal, technical, and management teams, you will assist with the client’s patent strategy and portfolio development efforts, including identifying and capturing inventive technologies, preparing applications, guiding patent prosecution, and IDS management.
- Growth initiatives. You will help us continue our growth trajectory via active participation in networking, business development, speaking engagements (virtual or in-person as comfort allows), podcast participation, and content development. This is compensated time and eligible for profit sharing.
Who you are: You have an undying love for people and supporting inventors and team members with the highest level of quality, high-touch service. Ideally, you’ll also be a good mix of the following:
- Scientist or Engineer. Registered USPTO Patent agent with an industry or academic background in the biomedical sciences with some experience in the life sciences, chemical sciences, plant sciences, or related technical discipline being an added bonus. Illustrative subject matter includes patent preparation and prosecution projects with emerging companies focused on drug delivery, diagnostics, hydrogel technologies, cannabis cultivar identification and gene editing or silencing, etc.
- Quality-focused, highly-efficient practitioner. 3 years as a patent agent who is technically skilled and comfortable drafting and reviewing utility and design patent applications that exceed client expectations. Please share an office action response that resulted in an issued patent and provide any published application or patent numbers for which you participated in drafting.
- Insatiable Tech Geek. Ability to review and analyze technically complex documents, including scientific papers, patents, and technical specifications.
- Hyper-organized, crisp communicator. Excellent organizational, verbal communication, and writing skills.
- Intuitive Collaborator. Team player with proven ability to work with dynamic and diverse groups of engineers, inventors, and business and strategy teams.
- Hungry for autonomy. Can self-direct, manage, and motivate. Takes personal ownership and responsibility for driving high-quality results and consistently hitting deadlines.
- OCD about detail. Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
Opportunity: This is a fully remote, part-time role with a flexible work week. The position is salaried for a guaranteed 30 hours per week and payable at an hourly rate for any hours above 30. Benefits include 401k with match and paid time off. We are experiencing steady growth, sparked mainly by client love and referrals, so there’s significant potential for this to evolve into a full-time role for the right person. Let’s talk!
Your Application. Please include each of the following with your submission.
- A resume that includes your USPTO agent registration number.
- A cover letter that includes references to or attaches: 1) An office action response that resulted in an issued patent and 2) Any published application or patent numbers for which you participated in drafting.
Location Note: Some job boards require us to specify a city, but we're fully distributed, so you can work from any reasonably well Internet-connected location in the U.S.